GaleGirl

Gale Martin

Award-winning writer. Binge watcher. #Opera wonkette. My newest novel, a murder mystery called WHO KILLED 'TOM JONES'? is now available. @Booktrope novels at http://amzn.to/12Ti0NU Lancaster County, Pennsylvania · galemartin.me

Review: Jane Austen Girl by Inglath Cooper

JanAusten Girl had an interesting premise, and it started off gangbusters--lively, funny, endearing. Then it turned into a much different read, a serious, somber book that left me feeling a bit betrayed, like I'd been dealt a bait and switch.

It almost felt like the author hadn't thought through where she was going with this book--for example, the book's high point occurred midway through the novel.

She just abandoned one of the central plot points around which the whole book was conceived. Doesn't leave a lot of story to engage the reader for the last third of the book, does it?

While the story compelled me to finish it, it didn't fulfill its potential.

And the title was merely a calculated marketing ploy since "Jane Austen's" relevance to the storyline was paper-thin--wish I'd thought of that trick.

While some parts were inspired, I guess I expected a great deal more from the entire work, especially since Cooper's a RITA winner.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/868651365?book_show_action=false